Location: Valhalla, New York
Oversees daily operations, staffing, and workflow in the department to ensure consistent superior customer service and turnaround time independently. Oversees compliance with department policies, procedures, and operational guidelines. Plays a key role in training, competency assessment, safety, and compliance. In the absence of an on-site supervisor, will assume a leadership role.
- Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
- Ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments; ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position; good judgment, and dependability.
- Plans and coordinates the operation of the Receiving Dept, ensuring adequate staffing, equipment, supplies, and all other related administrative functions.
- Ensures compliance with lab regulations, standards and safety practices. Reviews standard operating procedures manual to ensure effective operations
- Oversees and evaluates the work of receiving staff, providing them with instruction, professional guidance and expertise in the area of specialization.
- Implements process improvement initiatives, maintains regulatory compliance within the laboratory, and works with the medical staff to monitor and continue to improve quality.
- Establishes effective communication between hospital patient units and the lab for the efficient transfer of information, both urgent and regular, and on the ordering of tests.
- Provides orientation, training and evaluation for new lab assistants, students and Residents in the area of specialization. Ensures staff competence in performing duties of Inpatient, and Outpatient areas and that all phlebotomy employee competencies are completed in a timely manner.
- Assists in monitoring and maintaining inventory. Justifies any budget variances especially regarding OT.
- Keeps the Lab Manager informed of all activities and personnel problems
- Builds a strong working relationship with internal and/or external customer to meet customer needs.
- Displays a courteous and professional behavior with co-workers, medical staff, patients, visitors and others.
- Performs other duties as directed by Supervisor and Manager.
A minimum of 1 year as a receiving lab assistant preferred
Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution. Associates or Bachelors in science, preferred.
Licenses / Certifications:
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC